Has your favourite piece of jewelry started to lack luster and become tarnished? You could leave it as is or take it to a jeweller to clean it who will charge you an exorbitant amount depending on the metal.
Prevention is better than cure so why not start by taking care of your jewellery to avoid any mishap in the future?
Here are X important tips to take care of your valuable jewellery:
GOLD JEWELRY TIPS
You might be keen on looking up gold earrings with price on inexpensive websites but if you don’t know how to take care of them, you will have earrings that don’t complement your look.
Gold can lose its luster after repeated use so what you should do is clean it regularly with mild shampoo and water.
- Dip it and gently brush the grime away.
- Don’t be too rough or you risk scratching it.
- You can use ammonia and water to clean it and retain the gleam.
- Clean dry with a lint free cloth.
- Keep your gold away from chemical exposure such as Chlorine as it can discolor and weaken the metal.
- Store it in the box it came in to avoid it getting tangled, scratched or spoiled.
DIAMOND JEWELRY TIPS
Before you set about searching for the best diamond ring designs, understand what goes into cleaning and storing diamonds first.
It is important to clean your diamonds as they repel water and attract dust which can settle it in the intricate designs.
- Wash them in light soapy warm water
- Use a soft baby brush to get rid of the oil
- Keep them in the jeweler’s box
- Keep them away from dust and air
- Keep them in separate boxes instead of all together.
SILVER JEWELRY TIPS
Sterling Silver can become tarnished if exposed to salt air or products that contain sulphur.
- Use aluminium foil to clean your silver
- Line a tray with aluminum and sprinkle a layer of baking soda and then pour boiling water over it.
- Remove and rinse in water
- Store silver in airtight containers with a dessicant like silica.
- The container should be felt lined.
POLKIS AND KUNDAN JEWELRY
If you’re keen on buying polkis and kundan, know that there is extra care and maintenance involved.
Only wear the jewelry after you have worn makeup and perfume.
- Avoid soap and water
- Wipe it with a suede cloth after every use
- Airtight containers are the best
- Wrap it in white butter paper or a soft muslin cloth
FASHION JEWELRY TIPS
- Be gentle in your approach
- Use a mild shampoo and water
- Dry it with a hair dryer
- Keep them in vacuumed plastic bags to avoid exposure to air
There you have it! For all the jewelry in your box, there is an important lesson to note: Don’t be harsh. Always be gentle while storing and cleaning them. And if they are worth a lot, consider making a trip to the jeweller instead.